I wonder if Chase increased or decreased the initial bonus for the Southwest calling card?
Gary Leff at 1. April 2021.
I get paid for the content and the many links on this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as are American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. All opinions expressed in this article are my own and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by my advertisers. I’m not going to tell you about all the credit cards available, but I will tell you about miles, points and cashback (and the currencies that can be converted into them). The terms and conditions apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
Chase has a new offer for the Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business card: You earn 80,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
Current earnings with this card are 3 points per $1 spent on purchases in the Southwest region. 2 points per $1 spent on social media and search engine advertising, internet, cable and phone. 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases. These points count towards a companion pass.
Members receive 9,000 bonus points each year after the anniversary of check-in; a Global Entry or TSA PreCheck bonus point statement every four years; reimbursement for four seat upgrades per year (boarding A1 through A15 aircraft purchased at the airport); plus credit for in-flight wifi. This is a package that lowers the annual card fee to $199.
The thing is, I really needed to know if this was a better deal or if it was a discount on what was previously available. A first suggestion was to win:
- 70,000 points after spending $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months.
- Plus an additional 30,000 points after spending $25,000 on purchases in the first 6 months.
That was 100,000 bonus points. A total of 80,000 points. I’ll say,
- You get more points if you spend the first $5,000 on this new offer (80,000 vs. 75,000).
- The fact that the additional 30,000 points in the previous offer requires tons of spending does not apply to the new offer.
- This new offer is more generous to your dollar,
- 80,000/4000 = 16 points per dollar
- 100,000/25,000 = 4 points per dollar
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business credit card is the one I used to get my current Companion Pass.
- All Rapid Rewards accounts are open on 31. opened in December 2021, receive 25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points and 25 Companion Pass qualifying flights this year.
- With the Companion Pass you can take a second person on your trip. In 2021, you must earn 125,000 eligible points to receive a pass valid through the end of 2022. And the first rewards and points you earn for spending with your Southwest credit card count toward your companion rate.
- So if you get a bonus for this card, you’ll get at least 85,000 of the 100,000 points you need this year (assuming you have an account open by December 31, 2020).
- The rest can be earned by using a credit card, booking a hotel through the Southwest portal, flights or other eligible activities. But it’s not far.
For most people I think this is the better deal, more points up front without the big expense, although those who easily spend a lot of money on cards may prefer the earlier variant as it meets all the requirements of the Companion Pass at once.
Southwest Rapid Rewards® Performance Business Credit Card:
CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® – 65,000 AAdvantage miles.
See more of wing
Leave a comment
Editor’s note: Any opinions, analyses, ratings or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by any card issuer. Comments on this post are not made by or on behalf of any bank, nor are they reviewed, approved or endorsed by any bank. Citibank, Chase, American Express, Barclays, Capital One or any other advertiser is also not responsible for answering questions. The conditions and restrictions apply to all offers.
frequently asked questions
What is the bonus from Southwest Chase?
1 point for transfers : You earn 1 point for every dollar of your first $10,000 in balance transfers within the first 90 days of opening your first account. 3,000 bonus points for every year your account is active: You get 3,000 bonus points for every year you have an account.
What is the best credit card offer for Southwest?
Counselor, the best, the southwestern flyer.
How long does it take to earn Southwest bonus points?
Southwest typically deposits them into your Rapid Rewards account within 2-3 business days of your credit card statement. Registration bonuses can sometimes last longer. Depending on when you start closing your expense report, it may not be published until the following month.
southwest companion pass,southwest airlines,southwest business credit card 80,000,southwest credit card,southwest referral 75,000,southwest credit card 75,000 points,Feedback,Privacy settings,How Search works,southwest 50,000 point offer,southwest 75,000 points