The things I like most about the Southwest Airlines Companion Pass.
Gary Leff on February 12, 2021.
I am paid for the content and many links of this blog. Citibank is an advertising partner of this site, as are American Express, Chase, Barclays and Capital One. All opinions expressed in this post are my own and have not been reviewed, approved or endorsed by my advertising partners. I do not write on all available credit cards. Rather, I focus on miles, points and cashback (and the currencies that can be converted into them). Terms and conditions apply to the offers and benefits listed on this page.
The Southwest Airlines Companion Pass is perhaps the best deal of all. If you earn 125,000 eligible points from eligible sources in a typical calendar year, you can take a Southwest Airlines Companion Pass, usually for tax purposes only.
However, all three Southwest Airlines personal credit cards offer the opportunity to win a companion pass as an initial bonus. Specifically, new members can earn a Companion Pass and 30,000 points when they make $5,000 worth of purchases with the card within 3 months of account opening.
If you meet the spending requirements, you will earn at least 35,000 Southwest Rapid Rewards points and a companion pass valid through February 28, 2022.
Here’s what I like about the Southwest Companion Pass:
- You can add a companion to your already booked tickets. Most Southwest Airlines flights on which you are traveling are eligible. If your companion has booked a ticket, you can add a companion. If you booked a points-based ticket, you can add a companion. (The ticket does not even have to have been purchased with points).
- You can add a companion even if the cheapest tickets for your flight are sold out. It doesn’t matter if the ticket you bought is still available or if the price of the flight has gone up. If there are still seats available on your flight, you can add a companion.
- Double the value of Chase points. Transfer points from Chase Sapphire Reserve® to Southwest. If you have a companion card, you can book your travel with these points and add your companion to flights. This effectively doubles the value of the Rapid Rewards points you just transferred.
- You can add a companion online or by phone. If you have a companion, the “Add a Companion” link will appear under your reservation. It is located just below the flight itinerary. Click on the link, add your passenger information and confirm your booking. You’re all set. You can also call Southwest Airlines Reservations and ask the telephone agent to add a companion. You can do this at any time, as long as Southwest Airlines continues to sell tickets for your flights.
- You can change your route for free via satellite. You can cancel or change your satellite reservation. And Southwest Airlines does not charge a change fee, which means the full price of your ticket will be applied to the new route you choose to book. First, cancel the companion reservation, because he or she can’t fly without you. Then change your ticket. You can then add the companion to your new reservation.
- Change companions up to 3 times per year You can assign one person at a time and change this assignment up to 3 times per year. This means that you can have up to four different companions during the year. (Even if you choose the same person twice, this counts as one of your changes). You can select your first companion online by simply entering “companion information” in your profile. You can then make reservations for your travel companion. If you wish to change your companion, you must ensure that your companion has not booked a flight with a pass. If so, the companion reservations must be cancelled. Please call Southwest and request another companion.
- The stack with the free baby on my lap. I won my ticket before my daughter was two years old, which meant I could redeem the ticket for myself, have my wife accompany me, and still take our daughter for free.
- Currently there is a Southwest card that entitles you to a Companion Pass – over $750 worth of travel. The value of Southwest points even doubles if you use them and travel with a companion with the Companion Pass. So you can earn about $750 after you receive the bonus on the new card.
- Use a companion ticket to Hawaii, Mexico or the Caribbean. Southwest is no longer just a national airline operating in the lower 48 states!
The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Plus credit card has the lowest annual fee ($69) and is the only card you can get if you are not a regular passenger. The Southwest Rapid Rewards® Priority credit card is best if you travel Southwest regularly – the annual cost of $149 entitles you to $75 Southwest travel credit and 4 enhanced A1-15 boarding fees per year.
Read more View of the wing
Leave a comment
Editor’s note: The opinions, analysis, assessments or recommendations expressed in this article are solely those of the author and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any card issuer. Comments on this item are not provided or commissioned and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any bank. Citibank, Chase, American Express, Barclays, Capital One or any other advertiser is not obligated to answer the questions. All offers are subject to terms, conditions and restrictions.
Frequently asked questions
Is the Southwest Companion Pass worth it?
And if you don’t live near the city where Southwest goes, or if you don’t plan to fly very often, you probably won’t get much benefit from a Southwest Companion Pass. The benefits are only worth it if you can get the same benefit as with an annual pass.
How does a companion work in the Southwest?
The Southwest Companion Pass is a card that allows a Rapid Rewards member to take a second person (Companion) on any flight booked with Southwest for free, as long as there is still a seat available. The member only has to pay the taxes and fees for the Companion.
Does the accompanying ticket have priority for boarding?
When a companion cardholder adds a companion to his or her reservation, a new reservation is made for the companion – this process does not give that traveler priority when boarding the flight.
southwest companion pass trick,southwest companion pass promotion,southwest hotel points a list,southwest companion pass reddit,southwest tier qualifying points,southwest companion pass credit card offer,southwest companion pass 2021,southwest companion pass 2020 extension,southwest companion pass boarding rules,southwest travel funds extension,rapid rewards partners,southwest business card,southwest companion pass 2020 coronavirus,can you use companion pass with points delta,points guy southwest,best way to use southwest credit card,what does 60000 southwest points get you,southwest companion pass,southwest companion pass 2020,southwest airlines companion pass extension,southwest companion pass rules,how to use companion pass southwest